Below is an excerpt of my entry from yesterday (Sunday) about Friday 6/20:
To pick up where I left off – there are a few things I must write down about Friday. #1: Christopher Guest arrived. Or should I say “Corky?” I mean, if I wanted to choose a code name for him that I would never forget, CORKY would be the one. “Corky” of course being “Corky Sinclair,” the character Guest played in WAITING FOR GUFFMAN, which he also wrote and directed. GUFFMAN got popular on DVD the summer I graduated from college and lived in Vermont, doing stock theatre. I lived in a house with 14 other people (mostly actors but some designers and tech types) and GUFFMAN was constantly playing in the one living room, 24/7. We quoted it incessantly, and I know the movie by heart. It is so dear to me, especially because it encapsulates (among other things) the magical chaos and comedy that putting on a play entails. It’s also mostly improv (Guest often outlines a scene, rehearses, and then shoots with improv actors) which is completely my bag. I’m never at a loss when it comes to making things up, and the longer I go, the easier it is for me to believe it myself. On Filmfakers, I stayed in character for 4 days straight. During that shoot, and having seen CONFESSIONS OF A DANGEROUS MIND, I remember thinking that I would make one helluva spy.
Anyway, Shawn made sure I asked Chris if he was OK and if he wanted something to drink. I walked over to his chair (he was in full Ivan Regalia) and said, very quietly but assuredly: "Excuse me, Mr. Guest?" and he started, as if I had yelled "BOO!" in his ear. I, in turn, reacted, as if to say "whoops!" and "oh my goodness, I'm so sorry, did I scare you?!" all at once. This was a short but thoroughly enjoyable skit! Yes, I will call it a skit because I know he was feigning surprise (he saw me coming) and my 'whoops!' was feigned as well. So that was clearly the day's highlight: my 3 second skit with...Corky.
Digression! Christopher Guest’s arrival corresponded with me being in Shawn’s trailer getting a vitamin water ready (3 ice cubes) along with some sort of snack. I was on the walkie so I first heard Rhonda, the 3rd AD, announcing that Chris was done with makeup and ready to travel. Then it was “Christopher Guest is on his way to the stage, Ashley, can you meet him?” Then a different voice, that of Bob (a PA) “I’ll meet him Ashley, I’m close to the north entrance…” then Ashley responded: “No, no, no – I got it, Bob.” I stopped mid-vitamin water run, trying to think of the right phrase to deflate the nervous anticipation, assuming these two idolized Chris Guest as much as I. “Why don’t you guys just arm wrestle for it?” I asked with what I hoped to be the right amount of playful sarcasm. But there was no response.
I took their silence as a sign that they are not ready to let me into the walkie banter – yet.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment