The light out is beautiful…tonight. But it hardly feels like “night.” It’s almost 9pm and out my window the view is eerie – like some post-apocalyptic scene where time has gone askew -- pigeons are flying high above the buildings, bathed in a golden afterglow that any sane person would call 5pm. I should actually go to sleep if I’m to manage getting up for a run tomorrow, which is my new plan...
In the elevator of my apartment building, on the way in tonight, a family was standing behind the doors when it opened on P3. They were all looking up, and the father/husband apologized and said: “I’m sorry, we were too busy watching.” I stepped into the elevator and remembered the flat screen tv that had been affixed where once upon a time only the numbers of the floor were broadcast. I responded to him with sympathy: “I know, it’s so distracting, you hardly know where you ARE anymore.” As the doors closed I looked at the screen above and barely registered the exchange rate in 8 countries. Then I glanced at a headline on the right hand side regarding inspectors in Syria and Nuclear Weapons. It dissolved as a new headline appeared about an Iraqi Canadian being jailed for 5 months in Baghdad. It hit me again what I had said: “You hardly know where you ARE anymore.” And it’s true. At least, that’s how I feel tonight.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment