Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Tuesday, October 14th, 2008

It has been exactly 2 weeks since I moved back to Los Angeles from Vancouver -- exactly 2 weeks! But it feels like longer, how it feels like longer! Lots has happened but today was worth writing about in particular, as Missy pointed out, because it's something I'll want to remember clearly -- to recount the details for years to come! I did a table read at Fox today with Ben Stiller, Tom Cruise, Amy Adams, Hank Azaria, Patton Oswalt, Ed O'Neill and Philip Baker Hall. We were on the 5th floor of bldg 100 -- across from the executive building. 3 years working at Fox and this was the first time in this building -- which has wide picture windows with views of LA, old black and white images of the old Print Shop and the Script Department from the 1930's (as well as an aerial shot from the 30's of the lot that was unrecognizable, try as I did to find one distinctive landmark). I was nervous in the same way that I've been nervous for these kind of things in the past -- but every time I pictured Tom Cruise, and acting with Tom Cruise, I got extra sort of nervous! Understandable...he is a superstar, like one of the biggest stars, who has been a star for 20 years! What if I messed up? Stuttered? Slurred my words together?

Tom was 20 minutes late, apparently finishing a phone call in his car. In the meantime, everyone milled about, with pockets of conversations around the tea and cookie table, around the other side of the room, regarding the seating (switching the name cards around) and just generally buzzing on the vibe of knowing that soon Maverick would be walking through that door. And then -- he did. Navy shirt, jeans, clear eyes, big smile, apologies for being tardy. We all sat down and began to read. I read a number of utility roles like Tricia Rose the reporter, Chet's Mom, a waitress, a hostess -- but then I read Tom's ex-wife in what was certainly one of the more dramatic scenes in this comedy. It was great! at the very end, Tom walked out and shook my hand and said "thank you.' "Thank YOU," I said. I wanted to say more, but the smile -- let's say it -- it melted me!

1 comment:

MartiniCocoa said...

that is so cool and i know you were FIERCE!